in the footsteps of the pilgrims  

S_117_PilgrimsGoingToChurch_Boughton.jpg
 

300+ Years of worship 

When we gather in our light-filled, historic Meetinghouse, we are following in the footsteps of all the generations who have worshiped in Green’s Farms since 1711.

In 1648, five families struck out to the west of Fairfield to farm alongside Long Island Sound on the land next to Burying Hill Beach in what is now Westport. By 1711 they had been joined by another 265 farmers who worked the excellent crop land with Indian and salve labor.

In honor of the most successful farmer, John Green, the settlement became known as Green’s Farms.

In 1711, the Connecticut Legislature gave permission for the Green's Farms settlers to start their own church, separate from Fairfield. The first Meetinghouse – a square wooden barn – was at the foot of Morningside Drive and Green’s Farms Road. George Boughton’s painting shown here, Pilgrims Going to Church, captures the likely scene of worshipers called to church by the beating of a drum.

In 1736 a larger Meetinghouse was built at the corner of Green’s Farms Road and the Sherwood Island Connector, opposite the Colonial Burial Ground, the first of two cemeteries belonging to the church.

In 1779, a British raiding party burned down the Meetinghouse, along with the parsonage and many other homes. The third Meetinghouse went up on the site of the current church in 1789, then the building we still use today replaced it in 1853. 

Despite the wars, snowstorms, hurricanes and other calamities of those 300+ years since the Bankside Farmers first gathered, people have worshiped at our church without missing a Sunday.

For the full story, pick up a copy of our 300th Anniversary History at the church. It’s an entertaining read that brings to life the intertwined history of community, church, town, state and nation.

Our Ministers – a timeline